Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's all fiction to me


So, basically I had this conversation with my mother and I will reproduce it to you here with photos and slightly more detail from my side of the the conversation as that's (honestly) what I remember better.

Basically the conversation was spurred on by my reading this book series: Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence (5 books) after having the abysmal experience of reading Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' of which I regret. (now I'm addressing Phil) Sorry Phil - but it's true. While I left the books knowing exactly what YOU believe about whether there's a God or not, once you'd made your point your story completely collapsed and seemed unimportant. I hated that. I didn't pick up your book in order to find out anything about you, I wanted a good story. And for the first book it was good, the story was interesting and engaging, so I bought the second two books at the same time. However, the second book became less about the story, and more about a channel for your sermon.

Contrastingly, Susan Cooper's books, while containing its own world of light and dark, doesn't require you to adopt the beliefs of the author but just temporarily adopt the reality of the book. *sigh* Much better.

In a way I feel bad for Lira and the others, made up into a story that wasn't about them. I feel cheated on their behalf.

No comments: