Monday, May 24, 2010

Winter - everyone's talking about it

So, it's cold. So it's been cold all week. And everyone is talking about it. The postman today told me that he feels we should have at least received a telegram warning us this was coming.

I thought that was taking passion for your career choice a bit far.

I have been enjoying this cold snap, personally. Yes, it's cold, but we're all wearing warm coats and colourful scarves and, some of us are rejoicing in the gloves we picked up in San Fransisco.

Cold weather is all about appreciating the freshness of things, and staying inside where the air is warm and cosy and you can be constructive, or just plain old entertained.

I have however, been thinking a lot about that knitting I started some months ago, and how it's really not getting any closer to finished... And thinking about being constructive has got me thinking about other winter-appropriate things to do that won't break the bank but will make this season a bit more joyful and cosy.

Say you know someone little that could be a bit warmer:

A PDF pattern for these cute little boots from SewingWithMe will set you back all of $4.50 (US) and you could probably use fabric you have lying about the house disguised as that jumper you don't wear anymore, or that shirt that has a soy sauce stain on the front but you haven't thrown it away yet...


Speaking of upcycling... this season is all about making one thing into another.. the challenge being, not to make it ugly...


$5.00 will get you a very pretty pattern for a seaweed-like scarf or the below capelet and a trip to Spotlight (and who hates that??) and a bit of your own time staying warm inside chatting with friends will set you up for the season of cold looking classy like you paid lots of money for your accessories. I just love that colour purple!



Personally, I plan to start knitting on the train when Franklin's back gets better and we're not standing all the way into town every day, then I will post my progress and not other peoples.

1 comment:

Dejin said...

My back is better. Unfortunately, this means that I have started walking from North Melbourne station, again; and this makes sitting down on the train ride impractical. You'll have to wait until I finish work to knit, I'm afraid. Not long now: just five short weeks!