Thursday, January 06, 2011

What we did: 2010

So, life's been hectic lately hasn't it? What with Christmas, New Years, holidays and amping up to go back to work (OK, so this part is possibly just me) and all. I have a number of things to write up about, the Melbourne Pen Show 2010, what BaSiL and I cooked up for Christmas dinner (actually lunch, to be clear, but I feel Christmas 'lunch' should be called the more traditional and old-fashioned term 'dinner.' Actually, if you say 'lunch' too many times in your head it sounds like a word that is onomatopoeia for eating lettuce. Lunch. Lunch. Yep.)

Also, there's all the kite flying we've been doing, and the camping trip which was wonderful; full of loving life and NOT having to do ANYTHING! *

What about the three weekends in a row I was away in December? The four weddings in six weeks in April/May. My nephew's first year in Australia, not to mention my brother and sister-in-law moving back home. Losing a dress size. Changing jobs twice. Leaving our house front door ajar for a whole day without anything getting stolen.

I know it's very selfish, but my year '2010' began in October 2009 and ended in November 2010. This year, October through November, is a year I never want to live through again. I never want Franklin to have to live through again. I learned a lot, and I don't think I'm quite the same person I was before. I have learned something about real passion, and about resilience, about waiting and hope. I have learned about heartache and loneliness and intimacy and unity.

And, after all that, my hope for 2011 is scarily immense.

So be prepared 2011: You're going to rock.


* As a side note I cannot tell you how much I was almost in tears when, sitting on a camping chair next to a fire someone else had made, I came to the realisation that no one was going to say to me 'let's not waste the day,' and more importantly I couldn't say to myself 'I really should be doing {insert list of any-things}'

No comments: