Monday, November 12, 2012

A taste of summer

I love Apollo Bay. I have been going there almost my entire life, and it's just one of the best places on earth - for me. I qualify this statement with 'for me' because the reason I think it's so great is intensely personal, I'm not trying to claim it is amazing for everyone. Besides which, I think you should all not go, in fact that's probably best (you wouldn't want to be disappointed,) leave the place to me.

Unlikely? Yeah, probably.

We went down for the Melbourne Cup long weekend, not being horse racing enthusiasts much (at all.) Raven, her two kids, Moth, and Lola and Nonno came as well.

And, well, as promised Franklin did bake bread and it was yummy. He also made cinnamon cookies and was enthusiastically assisted in both these endeavours by little fingers and many questions - 'why?' and 'can I do it?' predominantly.


Tiny toes were dipped in the super-cold ocean. This proved both a tickly and confusing  sensation, which required a nap on mum in the sun fairly soon afterwards, to recover.



As we were there with family, Franklin, TM and I slept in my old room. This prompted much gazing at the ceiling and marvelling at how much life can change and yet, not.


Standing on the beach I played on as a child, holding my daughter and looking out at the most familiar landscape of hills and sea was honestly, kind of mind blowing. How did I get here? How did she get here? How does time pass so quickly?! What will the future look like? Will she stand on this beach with her daughter some day?


Way too much reflection and romantical-type thinking went on. I'll admit it here - I needed that nap on the beach to recover, just as much as TM.

No comments: