Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Typography Sunday

On Sunday my brother and I attended the Type By Hand Workshop held by the Australian Type Foundry's Wayne Thompson and Gemma O'Brien. My brother is a lot more into typography and hand lettering than I am, but with my focus on becoming a better illustrator this year I couldn't pass up the opportunity. It's not all the time you can attend a workshop with someone you know and I love hanging out with my brother. People always think it's a bit strange that we're both in the same field, but we move in such different spaces that it's not at all often we get to work side-by-side. My brother has such a quite energy, I really enjoyed watching him work.

One day we're going to create something amazing together.

The other attendees were a mix of students and professional graphic designers. It was very interesting and inspiring to look around the table, and the room, and see what others were coming up with. I'm definitely going to practice more (I need it!) I have to think of a good quote to work on. I worked up the words 'Just Believe' which Franklin suggested before I went, you can see a version of it below. I like it, but I'm not super happy with it. I would've liked to have put something a little bit more unique together, and found visually balancing those two words difficult. Sitting here thinking about it, I am thinking of quite a few different ways I could've tackled it, I think it's back to the drawing board for me!

Yay!




  



No comments: